Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Virtuals Machines are Fascinating

Yes, I like it a lot. I hope to become a vm-master like wariola one way. XD Why? Why? Because its so COOL. And besides I have problems regarding my internet connection. I only have the CSL broadband wireless thumbdrive and not Huawei so the laptop wouldn't recognize the broadband connection because it couldn't read the drives. DX

So with Windows 7 as the host I could easy make sure that I have the internet connection and at the same time use Fedora 11 (like I've wanted to since I knew about it) and finally learn to use it properly. So I used VirtualBox (no preferences here... just using what is familiar). Feds uses a lot of internet support and so I don't think I could do without it.  I get the connection through the shared network so no problems there. I know that running on virtual machine still have a few limitations but I don't really have a choice now do I?

So I've set it up, allocating around 60 gig for hardware (since I plan to use it heavily) and 1 gig of RAM since I've upgraded to 3 gigs of RAM I could afford to be generous. I didn't have too many problems setting up. (Just had to get rid of the old account...) But after that I really got irritated by the fact that the screen was to small to be of any proper use.

So I went to the fedora-my irc channel and asked for help. And there sniffit and Kagesenshi helped me out. Turns out that all I had to do was add the VirtualBox Guest Utilities and install it. But getting it to install properly was like hell. And as I said to sniffit, I did it with my own blood, sweat and tears. But I looove the open source community people. They've helped so much. They're so nice. *sigh* sniffit even offered to help using teamviewer. I sort of want to do this myself though. I can't be a computer engineer for nothing. But even so.. it took me most of the day to figure how to add the thing. And hyperair did it in 2 hours... wtf... Kage was a bomb anyway... all I really needed was the documentation from fedora. But I didn't know that.. *sigh* Thank you awesome people. You guys entertained me well too.

So after THAT first hurdle was done it was time I looked at the programs that I could use. The very idea that every sort of program is available and just within the tips of my fingers was certainly new. I didn't have to go out and buy a crack  copy or anything (plus the DVD drive isn't mounted). All I had to do was search and install. Because everything was FREE. Thus is the power of open source. And I'm loving it! I've still have yet to finish the list Kagesenshi gave me... And there's still the repositories to look at.

I learned a bit more about repositories from hyperair. Apparently for Ubuntu there's a few kinds of repositories: main (default installation), universe (community maintained programs), restricted (similar to main but with licensing issues) and multiverse (which is similar to universe but with licensing issues). For debian there's main (free software), contrib (software that is free but depends on non-free software) and non-free (which means that it's not free or not FOSS but it may be distributed). After some searching I find out that fedora seems to be less complicated. It has only Fedora (which is the main repository for the core programs and the extra programs), RPMfusion (for non-free stuff) and Livna (for libdvdcss). I have yet to check this out though.

So far I've got xchat working. I fiddle it around for a while... and I downloaded my first comic from irc!! Dangeki Daisy ch9. XD Its so useful that I can access several servers at once. *grins* Now I want netbeans... but it's been tricky and I haven't figured it out... Hopefully today more people would be free to help me. (omg.. I feel bad for using them so much) For now I'm installing a few updates that I randomly pick from the list of 101 updates. It was gila besar!! So I decided to pick and choose. I don't need Telegu support.... Or bluetooth support....

I have been following a few guides and added presto and yumex. Presto is suppose to make sure that I need to download as little as possible. And yumex is just a better interface for add/remove programs compared to the default interface (which makes me gnash my teeth because of the weird labelling and the lack of trasparency. I don't know how many more hours I'd need to wait for a 1.7meg file.). Although I feel like I'm adding stuff quite carelessly. There had been a few warning errors that I just don't get.

Irregardless I somehow got my pidgin working so thats cool. Now I can talk to Lala easier. *grins*

hmm... my mozilla seems to be dysfunctional after opening 10 tabs...

Thats all for updates now!

Laters!

No comments:

Post a Comment